Estimated Time to Rome Flight:

Want to be notified when I update? Just send me your e-mail address and I'll add you to the list. Alternatively, if you use an RSS reader, grab my feed: Post Feed (Atom)

Friday, June 20, 2008

Un`altre post: Marathon of Sleepless Excitement

Although the exact math escapes me, I can say with some certainty that I have been awake for too many hours. I awoke at 5:00 am on the morning of the 19th (after going to bed at midnight), took a one- to two-hour nap that afternoon, boarded a plane to Rome at 7:30 pm, slept for one to three hours (not really sure, as I faded in and out, but was never really comfortable), and here I am, bedding down at 2:30 am local time (8:30 pm, June 20). Perhaps tomorrow or the next day I will be able to attempt downloading some photos from the cameras and posting something more interesting, but for now let me just add this to my lame quote from Sara`s post:

Seeing Rome as an artist and art historian, it is at once beautiful and terrible - Beautiful in its ancient history and masterful architecture, terrible in its mistreatment of these things. I was not aware how romantic I felt about these historical pieces until I arrived here and saw the bleak reality for myself (crumbling monuments, blackened walls, revolutionary monuments covered in graffiti).On the other hand, though, seeing Rome as a socially aware and adventurous person, it`s New York City with more character, Seattle with more permanence, and altogether fascinating. My first day was overwhelming for all I saw, exhausting for its duration, but it has only piqued my curiosity.

On to the real fun and the bulk of my trip: Foro Romano, Galleria Borghese, Citta Vatticano, etc. Tomorrow, the plan is to self-tour the Forum and take a free tour of the Palatine Hill, amidst whatever else catches our fancy.

By the way, thanks for reading, whoever you may be.

2 comments:

Outlaw #1 said...

Wow, you guys are quick with your posts. By the time I finished commenting on the first post, you'd already had a second post up. You need to get some sleep! Say hi to Eugene for me.

Mini Mama said...

Prego