Estimated Time to Rome Flight:

Want to be notified when I update? Just send me your e-mail address and I'll add you to the list. Alternatively, if you use an RSS reader, grab my feed: Post Feed (Atom)

Friday, June 6, 2008

Making Preparations

Since this is my birthday present from my sister and parents, they have promised to take care of the gory details like lodging, transportation and meals. I love adventures, I love new things, and I love trips, but I hate planning all the details. In general, I prefer to push off into the wild with the intention to take care of those things when it becomes necessary.

Without any details to plan, though, I've been left plenty of time to plan the fun stuff. Where to go? What to do? Which monuments to see and which museums to visit? The more I research and solicit advice, the larger my Google map grows. At this point, I'm dubious we will see it all. However, in my quest for the less-beaten path, the sideshows that most people miss, I've been perusing travel review sites, like TripAdvisor, searching for travel blogs by other adventurous individuals, and devouring travel books when I have the time to go to a book store.

On top of that, I bought a pocket-size Italian-English English-Italian dictionary from Amazon a couple of days ago, and I eagerly await its arrival. I took Italian for two years in high school and, only about a year ago, listened to a set of Italian learning CDs set to music. The high school courses are mostly rubbish on the shoulder of my mental highway, aside from basic grammar and some vocabulary I found particularly beautiful, but the learning discs were hilarious. They seemed to have stuck quite well with me, as I still find myself humming the music for "I'd like one ticket please - Vorrei un bigliette per favore." (Yes, I wrote that without looking anything up.)

Because my sister and I are flying standby (we get such cheap tickets that way!), I'm a little nervous about the singular adventure offered by airline (over)booking. We may get on, we may not. We may find ourselves in the airport, sleeping on our balled up sweaters. Or, if we're lucky, we may find ourselves in two vacant first-class seats, sipping cocktails and slicing steaks the whole way to Rome. Only time will tell...

1 comment:

Laura A said...

Those Italian cd's were great! Reading that lyric even now, I can still sing along! Oh! You're goign to ave so much fun!